Koh Samui, ThailandDate: September 2015
Location: Koh Samui (island), Thailand
Accommodation recommendation: Jungle Gym Resort, Plai Leam, Koh Samui
Samui will always be special to me as I've lived here for about a year. Five years later I didn't recognize the island anymore due to all the development and modern changes that had been going on. Still it's easy to escape all the luxury and the crowds to enjoy a true paradise, there's something for everybody.
Choeng Mon area has always been my favorite, close to the commercial areas but still local enough with a relaxed ambiance. Choeng Mon beach is lovely for sunbathing, sunset drinks, beach massages and fine dining.
Bophut (Fisherman's Village) is one of my other favorites. On Friday nights the place turns into a huge market called Walking Street. On busy nights 'walking' can be quite a challenge but this is a place to try all kinds of local delights. Also there are some good restaurants selling samples and you can buy cheap cocktails everywhere.
A few good (but not cheap) options for dinner: Starfish & Coffee (Thai food, Bophut), The Larder (European, Chaweng), Prego (Italian, Chaweng), Nadimos (Lebanese food, Bang Rak) or The Orchid (Thai food, Choeng Mon).
For drinks go to Ailleurs or Sunset@Big Buddha, both close to the entry of Big Buddha.
- Rent a motorbike and drive around the island, visit at least Big Buddha, Wat Plai Leam, Wat Khunaram & Magic Garden (close to each other);
- Go to The Jungle Club for breakfast/lunch/dinner/drinks and enjoy the amazing island view;
- Buy a ticket for a muay thai fight night at Chaweng or Phetch Buncha Stadium;
- If you like western-style shopping, go to Central Festival (Chaweng), The Wharf (Bophut) or the shops around the Big C/Tesco Lotus malls.
- Stay in Chaweng unless you're coming to party;
- Skip one of the ladyboys shows, most of them offer free entry when you buy some drinks;
- Do an elephant trekking, it's not good for the animals;
- Leave without visiting the Anghtong Marine Park, Koh Tao (famous for diving) and Koh Phangan (famous for full moon parties).
Some impressions of Koh Samui:
Jungle club with amazing views.
Friday night Walking Street Fisherman's Village (Bophut).
Choeng Mon Beach.
Ark bar fire show, Chaweng.
Hin Ta & Hin Yai (Grandmother & Grandfather rock).
Wat Khunaram (Mummified monk).
Temple party Chaweng.
View from The Cliff restaurant.
Miang Kam at Sweet Sisters Cafe. A southern taste sensation of toasted coconut, chili, onion, garlic, lemon, ginger and herbs wrapped in chaplu leaves.
Wat Plai Laem.
Jungle Gym Resort.
Check out the diving pages for more information and pictures about dive sites nearby.
Click here to read about diving around Koh Tao!
Sail Rock is a great dive spot nearby. Click here!
Check out other nearby destinations:
Click here for Koh Tao!
Click here for Koh Phangan!
Share this page: